Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Research Journal Entry #4

Analytic Memo:
Over the weekend, I conducted the first observation related to my main project for the class. I attended a panel session on cultural re-entry at the Southern California "Lessons from Abroad" conference. Since I haven't studied abroad, I hadn't given much thought to reverse culture shock and the re-entry process. This session gave me two important topics to keep in mind and work into my individual interviews as I move forward: feelings of isolation and a sense of being overwhelmed when returning home. While I have been thinking mostly about expectations for the study abroad experience--which are fulfilled, which aren't--I had been overlooking the possibility of extending my questions to ask about students' expectations for their return home. The observation session was incredibly useful in that the data it provided will help me more effectively collect data during other parts of the research process.

No comments:

Post a Comment