Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Research Journal Entry #3

Faith Reflection:

As I met with a young woman for my individual interview assignment, I was reminded of the influence of my faith perspective on the ways I perceive other people. The student I spoke to talked easily about God and his role in her life--past, present, and future. Because I share her faith perspective, I found her comments inspirational. Her trust in God and willingness to follow his direction challenged me to grow in those areas. I think very highly of this student, even more so now that I've seen a glimpse of her Christian commitment.

I wonder, though, whether I would have thought less of a student who expressed such devotion to a faith different from my own. Would I have admired the depth of faith in someone whose religious views dismiss the beliefs I value, or would I have used that point of contention to negatively frame my regard for the person? I think it's natural to connect with those who agree with us and to categorize those who don't. One of the lessons I will need to keep in mind as I conduct future interviews is that I must remain cognizant of the ways my own perspectives, especially those related to faith, could influence my opinion of other people and the ways I represent the data I collect during interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment