Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Reflective Reading Log #2 (Part 2)

Part 2: Creswell, Ch. 8

Summary
In chapter 8, Creswell addresses the means by which researchers move from collection of data to creating and relaying the meaning of that data. He provides three main strategies for data analysis, but they coalesce around several necessary processes: coding data, combining related codes to create themes, and representing the data using charts, graphs, or tables. Creswell then introduces the “Data Analysis Spiral” (p. 150), depicting the movement from data collection to data representation as a vertical spiral that winds back on itself as it progresses. Among the stages of the spiral are managing data, reading or memoing, actually analyzing the data by classifying or interpreting it, and representing the resulting information so that it can be shared. The remainder of this section of chapter 8 is dedicated to a description of the procedures required for each stage. Those procedures include describing (coding), classifying (creation or categorization of themes), interpreting (formation of conclusions), and representation (presentation of textual or visual depictions of the information gained in the course of the study).

The next section of chapter 8 describes analysis within each of the 5 main methodological approaches. A concise table helps the reader understand how the varying methodological approaches might accomplish each stage of the data spiral described previously. The chapter concludes with a discussion of several computer programs available to help the qualitative researcher manage, analyze, and represent data. Some advice is given for evaluation of the usefulness of the programs in light of the type of research being undertaken.

Reflection
I suspect this chapter will be well-worn by the time I’m done with my qualitative research project. Already, I’ve scribbled, underlined, and drawn stars in the margins to emphasize the points that I want to get back to quickly, and I’m a little fearful that I’m a few stars short of actually understanding what I need to do. The chart on pages 156-57 is especially helpful. As I review the processes for the methodological approach I anticipate using, I feel like they make sense. I may take forever to complete them, but they seem like a reasonable way of understanding and working with data in a phenomenological study.

I have to confess that I am completely intimidated by the sheer volume of work implied by this chapter. I know that I can learn to do qualitative research, but I’m terrified that I’ll underestimate the time commitment required for a given task and will wind up stuck with a half-completed assignment. Clearly, I need to at least double my expected work time on pretty much all of the assignments for the class. I think it will be fun (mostly), but I’m looking forward to a pretty intense learning curve!

1 comment:

  1. Amen on the learning curve, sistah! I am so fearful this semester that I am going to fall quickly behind the 8-ball, or as they say on Biggest Loser - below the yellow line. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete